A High School Student-Athlete Program
Providing character development, leadership training, and scholarships for tomorrow’s leaders
OVER $75,000 IN SCHOLARSHIPS TO DATE !
Champions by Choice and Athletes for a Better World have joined together to present a common high school program for all high school athletes, coaches, and fans.
What is a Champions by Choice School?
A Champions by Choice School is one whose administration and athletic director seek to build a school-wide athletic program founded on the principles of sportsmanship, scholarship, leadership and civic responsibility. Character and leadership development for student-athletes is their highest priority. They strive to build a positive culture around the entire sports program – student-athletes, coaches, administrators, faculty, parents, and fans.
The historic rationale for scholastic and collegiate sports was to help young people develop physical fitness, leadership, and achieve the higher ground of ethical behavior both on and off the field of play. The mission was to build championship people, not to win championships at any cost.
Today, the time-honored ideals of sportsmanship are under attack – coaches and athletes without honor, champions without character, and a win-at-all-cost mindset have seized the spotlight. Young athletes are dramatically influenced by the behavior of their athlete role models, both good and bad. We hope that you are concerned about the direction of sports today, and want to see positive behavior in your student-athletes.
Why become a Champions by Choice school?
- What kind of behavior do you want to see from your student-athletes and coaches?
- What kind of behavior do you want to see from parents and fans?
- What kind of behavior do you want visiting teams and fans to see from your players, coaches, and fans?
Establishing the Champions by Choice program is simple, affordable, and engages athletes, coaches, administrators, and fans. Working together as a team, you will bring about positive change grounded in leadership, responsibility, sportsmanship, and citizenship. And, that is not all. You, your athletes, coaches, and fans will build a significant, renewable, and growing scholarship fund/endowment for your student athletes.
Do we have to drop or change any of the things we are already doing?
No. The Champions by Choice school program can stand alone or work in harmony with any positive leadership program.
What do we have to do as a Champions by Choice school?
- The athletic director and school administration will:
- Establish a Champions by Choice school chapter.
- Make the ABW Code for Living a part of the philosophy of the athletic program.
- Display posters of the Code in appropriate places.
- At the end of every season, recognize one player on each team as the recipient of the “Champions by Choice” award for the athlete best living out the Code for Living.
- Encourage coaches to go through the Coach’s Training and Certification program.
- Call together a meeting of the captains of every sport to meet with the Champions by Choice representative to begin the program.
- The Champions by Choice Chapter will:
- Be open to all athletes, all school-sponsored sports.
- Meet at least once each month to discuss projects, concerns, and follow the recommended educational program.
- Team leaders/captains will be responsible for presenting the “Tip of the Week and/or other educational, motivational, or service opportunities to team members and coaches.
- Student-athlete members will have as a goal to perform at least two hours of community service for each sport played. This is a great responsibility for the Captain, either to organize something for the team (also building team spirit!), or to encourage everyone to find a place to volunteer.
- Raise money for “Champions by Choice” scholarships for distribution to deserving, worthy members.
- In additional to the “Champions by Choice” award presented by the coach, team members may choose to vote on other awards based on the Code for Living, such as for service, citizenship or individual merit.
What are the benefits to the membership?
- Champions by Choice patch, membership card and certificate
- Poster of the Code for Living
- Opportunity for scholarships
- Copy of the book “Winning More Than The Game”
- Local and National recognition
- Bumper sticker
- Online resources
What are the benefits to the school?
- It demonstrates a visible commitment by the school to a concrete program of character development.
- The school’s name will be posted on the ABW Website as a “Champions by Choice” School, and the school could publicize this in its own ways.
- It creates a sense of unity across all teams, all coaches, and all sports.
- It provides a framework for coaches to build on.
- It provides a way for student athletes to take responsibility.
- It identifies, communicates and reinforces the values of the school to parents, coaches, athletes, and other schools.
- Athletes and coaches will benefit from having a consistent message and framework provided to them by the Code for Living, the Tip of the Week, Winning More Than The Game, and the many online resources.
- The quality of the coaches and athletes behaviors will improve as the values taught become integrated and reinforced in the ongoing life of the athletic program. This has been statistically demonstrated for both the coaches’ behaviors as well as the athletes.
The Athlete’s Champion by Choice Pledge:
As a Champion by Choice, I pledge to live with strength and honor, maintain the highest standard of personal conduct, and model the Code for Living.
The Parent’s Pledge
I will support the Champions by Choice program conduct myself with strength and honor, model the Code for Living, and encourage others to participate in the program.
You may now download the teaching curricula below:
- Curriculum I – The high school module with lessons for teaching the Code for Living
- Curriculum II – The ages 7 through middle school module with lessons for teaching the Code for Living
Request More Information
For more information or To begin a Champions By Choice Chapter, please submit the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible.